Energy bills for people with disabilities: Get help this winter

By: fishadmin, On: 13 December 2017

As the nights draw in and the colder weather begins to bite, many of us will find ourselves using more gas and electricity as we crank up the heating and leave lights on for longer. But did you know that, if you are of a certain age or receive disability benefit, you may be entitled to financial help with your energy bills?

Here are the different schemes that could be available to you:

Winter fuel payment

If you were born on or before 5th January 1953, you are eligible for an annual one-off payment to help you pay for your heating. How much you receive depends on your age and circumstances, but it will range from £100 to £300.

Warm home discount scheme

If you receive the guarantee credit part of pension credit (or you’re on a low income) you may be able to get £140 off your electricity bill through the warm home discount scheme. However, not all suppliers offer this and the criteria varies, so check with the company which provides your electricity. If your supplier provides you with both gas and electricity, you might be able to get the discount on your gas bill instead.

Cold weather payments

If the weather is very cold, usually for a period of seven days or more with an average temperature of zero degrees or less, you could be entitled to cold weather payments. These are determined by the Department for Work and Pensions and you are only eligible if you’re already receiving benefits.

 Social tariffs

Some energy suppliers provide a social tariff for vulnerable customers, which can include the elderly and people with disabilities. Contact your energy supplier to see if it’s something they provide and find out if you’re eligible.

Free gas safety checks

People who receive disability benefit may be entitled to a free annual gas safety check to make sure gas appliances are working correctly and efficiently. Contact your gas supplier who will be able to tell you if you could get a check-up for free.

Extra help from your supplier

Some suppliers offer extra support through a Priority Services Register. It means you can get help with things like reading your energy meter, moving your meter free of charge, and getting your bills sent to someone else, for example a carer.

Home insurance from Fish Insurance includes cover for your heating and water system. Find out more about our adapted home policy here.

Fish Insurance

Twitter Timeline

Fish Insurance is a trading style of Fish Administration Ltd. Company Registration no: 4214119 England & Wales.
Fish Administration Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, under firm reference number 310172. You can check this on the Financial Services Register by visiting the FCA’s website at or by contacting them on 0800 111 6768.

Calls may be recorded for training and monitoring purposes. © Fish Insurance. All rights reserved.

Fish Insurance

Twitter Results: