Fish Insurance
Speak to one of our experts 0333 331 3770

Financial help for people with disabilities

In the UK, a wide range of financial help and support is available for people living with disabilities, including payments, benefits, grants and tax credits. Financial help ranges from assistance with payments on vehicles to housing payments and VAT relief. Here is a list of financial support that you could be entitled to:

Disability Living Allowance for Children (DLA)

This is a tax-free benefit for children under the age of 16. The benefit exists to help with costs associated with long-term ill health or disability.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

This payment is gradually replacing the Disability Working Allowance for Adults. It is a tax-free benefit for people aged between 16 and 64 which aims to help with the costs incurred by prolonged illness or disability.

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is a tax-free benefit for those aged 65 and over who require a carer or other assistance.

 Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

People who are unable to work because of an illness or disability are entitled to this payment. There are two types of Employment Support Allowance; contribution-based ESA and income-related ESA. Contributions-based ESA is taxable and available if you’ve paid enough National Insurance contributions. Income-related ESA is not taxable and you are not required to have paid National Insurance contributions to receive this. It is available for those on no income or low income.

Vehicle Tax Exemption

You can apply for exemption from paying vehicle tax if you receive the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance, or the enhanced rate mobility component of the Personal Independence Payment. You could also be eligible if you claim the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement or the Armed Forces Independence Payment.

Vehicle Tax Reduction

If you’re not eligible for Vehicle Tax Exemption, you could still be able to claim the Vehicle Tax Reduction, which entitles you to 50 per cent reduction on vehicle tax. You should be eligible for this if you receive the standard rate of Personal Independence Payment.

Disabled Facilities Grant

This grant is provided by local councils. It exists to help towards the costs of essential adaptations to your home, to suit the needs and requirements of your disability.

Council Tax Reductions

If your house has certain features that are essential to helping you live with a disability you should be entitled to a reduction on your council tax. For example, extensions for downstairs bedrooms increase the size of a property, which sometimes can raise the amount of council tax to be paid on that property. If these adaptions have been made because of a disability, the new, higher rate of council tax can be reduced, so you’re not paying extra for any essential adaptations.

 Income Support

If you claim Income Support, you might qualify for a number of disability premiums for this. These are; disability premium, severe disability premium and enhanced disability premium. If you’re eligible, you automatically qualify for Housing Benefit and council tax reductions.

Working Tax Credit

This tops up any earnings you acquire if you’re working but on low pay. You may be entitled to extra top ups if you have a disability.

 VAT Relief

If you’re disabled or have a long-term illness, you’re entitled to VAT relief on products designed or adapted for your own personal or domestic use. You’re also entitled for VAT relief on the installation or any extra work required for these products, including repairs and maintenance and spare parts and accessories.

Qualifying products and services usually include adjustable beds, lift installation, work to widen doors, stair lifts and building work for ramps, among others.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

If you’re disabled as a result of an accident at work, or a disease or deafness caused by work, you should be entitled to receive this benefit.

Constant Attendant Allowance

You can claim this allowance if your disability means that you require daily care and attention. The allowance can help with paying for a carer or health professional to assist you daily.

At Fish Insurance, we offer a wide range of specialist insurance policies for people living with illness, disability or mobility issues. To learn more about our products, click here or call a friendly member of our team on 0333 331 3770.

 This information was gathered from GOV.UK and was correct at the time of writing.

For help, speak
to one of our team
call 0333 331 3770

A photo of a customer service employee.