Fish Insurance
Speak to one of our experts 0333 331 3770

Why you need insurance when employing a carer

Being an employer means that you need insurance to make sure both you and your employee (or employees) are protected. You’re classed as an employer if you have a carer or PA that you pay directly. (You’re also an employer if you get direct payments or money from the NHS to help pay for them).  Here are our top reasons to make sure you’re covered.

You could be liable if your carer has an accident while at work

If you’re not covered by Employers’ Liability Insurance, you could be left paying a hefty price if your carer or personal assistant (PA) is injured while at work. Here at Fish Insurance, we have seen Employers’ Liability claims with significant values (such as a claim for £150,000 in December 2015 after the PA suffered ligament and muscle damage sustained in an accident at work).  If you have Insurance in place, you can rest easy knowing that any claim will be taken care of if an accident should occur. If you are without insurance, you could be liable for this cost.

You could be left without a carer if yours can’t work

Employing your own carer directly has lots of benefits, but the last thing you want is to be left in the lurch if your carer can’t come to work for any reason. Fish Insurance’s Full Cover policy includes Replacement Employee Cover to make sure you’re never without the care you need.

You could get access to help with often complicated employment laws and legislations

Becoming an employer for the first time can be complicated. There are a lot of rules and regulations involved that can be difficult to get to grips with. If you’re covered by our Independent Living Insurance policy, you will get access to a 24-hour help and advice line provided by Peninsula, the UK’s leading specialist Employment Law, HR, and Health & Safety service. Peninsula are there to answer any questions you may have, at any time of day. They can also help to make sure you comply with all Employment Laws, assisting with contracts, and providing legal advice. They provide over 18,000 pieces of advice to Fish policy holders every year, making them well placed to understand the unique needs of Direct Payment employers.

You could end up paying substantial redundancy costs

If for any reason you need to make your carer or PA redundant, (this can happen if you go into full-time residential care) they could be eligible for redundancy pay. This can be expensive, and you might find that you don’t have the funds to cover it. Fish Insurance’s Independent Living Insurance Full Cover Policy covers up to £1,500 for one employee or £3,000 for more than one employee. To receive this cover, you must seek advice from Peninsula, who will help you with all the technical and legal details.

You could be fined if you don’t have it

If you fail to have Employers’ Liability Insurance in place, you could be fined up to £2,500 for each day you are without cover. Prices for Fish Insurance’s Independent Living Insurance start from just £67* annually and can help to provide you with the peace of mind of knowing you are protected.

Limitations & exclusions apply to all Fish Insurance policies. Fish Insurance is a trading name of Fish Administration Limited, which is authorised & regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) for insurance mediation activities only. Fish Administration Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company no. 4214199.
*Includes a £10 introductory discount on your first year Independent Living Basic Cover Insurance only. Not applicable to any other policy. New customers only. Offer ends 31/12/2016.
Please note that this content was correct at time of publication (12.12.2016). From time to time, changes in regulation may impact the accuracy of the information provided.

For help, speak
to one of our team
call 0333 331 3770

A photo of a customer service employee.