Fish Insurance
Speak to one of our experts 0333 331 3770

How to become a registered carer

Many people struggle daily to complete tasks that most of us find simple. If your loved one or friend has been involved in an accident, has an illness, or has complex care needs, you may have dedicated your time to becoming a carer for them. If you aren’t paid to look after them and regularly help them with things like washing and dressing, you can consider yourself a carer.

If you’re a carer for a vulnerable person, you may be entitled to an allowance. However, you need to register to be eligible for this. In this article, we’ll discuss the steps you can take to register as a carer and whether or not a carer’s allowance affects your Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).

How to register as a carer

The first step to registering as a carer is to contact the local authority and ask them to conduct a carer’s assessment for you. This assessment will discuss all your caring roles and after this assessment, you will be told if you are entitled to support from the council. This comes in the form of an allowance if your caring duties are affecting how much you are able to earn. This is known as a carer’s allowance.

How to register with a GP

The next step to becoming a registered carer is to contact your general practitioner and discuss your duties. Most GPs will simply require you to fill out a form so that they know about your role and can inform you of any important medical information about the person you are supporting.

How to register for carer’s allowance

Once you are registered as a carer, you may choose to register for a carer’s allowance. This is an allowance that you will get weekly (currently £67.60) if you care for someone for at least 35 hours a week, and you may also receive other benefits. To apply for this allowance, you must first determine that you are eligible by checking the government’s guidelines. Next, you will need to make a claim on the government website, ensuring that you have all the necessary documents at hand. The government will then review your claim and will determine whether you are eligible.

How to become a self-employed carer

The role of a carer is one that many choose to do out of necessity, but if you have the right qualifications, you can also turn it into a career. If you have the necessary qualifications, all you need to do is to set up your own business, ensuring that your work is in compliance with the many legal requirements that come with being a professional carer. For example, you will need to ensure that your patients sign contracts to be in your care, that you perform risk assessments and you offer care and safeguarding policies.

Another requirement to becoming a self-employed carer is to have a DBS check completed. A DBS check assesses your criminal record (or lack of) to determine whether or not you are an acceptable candidate for this position.

Does my carer’s allowance affect ESA?

Although signing up to become a registered carer for the allowance can have its benefits, it’s important to note that your ESA, or Employment and Support Allowance, and other benefits may be affected by it. Due to overlapping benefits rules, you may not be entitled to a carer’s allowance if you already claim ESA.

You can, however, still claim an underlying entitlement. You first need to meet all of the eligibility criteria for the registered carer allowance, after which this underlying entitlement may increase any other benefits that you have that are means-tested.

Learn more about disability insurance and carers allowance

If you’re thinking about becoming a registered carer, it’s important that you follow the steps carefully and ensure that you have completed all the necessary eligibility requirements. If your work has been affected by your caring responsibilities, you may be entitled to a carer’s allowance. However, if you’re already on other benefits, it’s important that you understand how a carer’s allowance may affect your other entitlements. Click here to read our total guide on Carers Allowance.

Carer Insurance is a must if you are thinking about becoming a self-employed carer, you can speak to one of our expert team members today who will be able to help with all your insurance requirements. Click here for further information.

Please note that this content was correct at time of publication (23.12.2021). From time to time, changes in regulation may impact the accuracy of the information provided.

For help, speak
to one of our team
call 0333 331 3770

A photo of a customer service employee.