How to fund your adapted home

By: fishadmin, On: 10 May 2017

Funding an adapted home can be expensive, but you may be entitled to financial help when making your property more accessible.

The type of financial help available to you will depend on whether the alternations to your home will be major or minor. We’ve explained the difference below, which should help you work out what your options are.

Major adaptions

Major adaptions to your home include bedroom and bathroom extensions, stair lifts and through floor lifts. To fund major adaptions such as these, the Disabled Facilities Grant is available, which you can apply for through your local authority. Eligibility for this grant depends on whether your local authority decides that the major adaptions are necessary for your needs. An assessment by an occupational therapist is also carried out.

The amount of financial help you’re entitled to depends on the area you live in and the grants are means-tested, with the income and savings of you and any partner you have taken into account.

The maximum Disabled Facilities Grants available are as follows:

  • England: £30,000
  • Scotland: The amount you can get varies depending on your local council
  • Wales: £36,000
  • Northern Ireland: £25,000

Minor adaptions

Minor adaptions to your home include building ramps, providing storage space for wheelchairs and installing intercom and door unlocking systems.

If you live in England, help can usually be provided by your local authority, which can supply disability equipment and fund minor adaptions costing less than £1,000. Eligibility for this help depends on an assessment.

If you live in Scotland, equipment is usually provided by your local authority. It can also fund adaptions costing less than £1,500.

If you live in Wales, you may be required to contribute towards the cost of your disability equipment and/or adaptions. However, the amount you contribute will depend on your financial circumstances and must be considered reasonable.

If you live in Northern Ireland, there are no standard guidelines and your local trust decides whether or not to fund any equipment or adaptions you need.

If these types of funding are not suitable for you, various charities can also provide assistance in obtaining equipment, building and helping with access to benefits and alternative grants. The Act Foundation and Turn2Us are two charities who may be able to help.

Once adaptations have been made, it’s important that any equipment and modifications are properly protected. The Adapted Home Insurance policy from Fish Insurance is designed to ensure that key aids such as fitted adapted and special access bathing facilities, indoor stair lifts, electric and hydraulic hoists and ceiling lifts, access ramps, and low-height fittings, are covered. In addition, it covers manual wheelchairs and disability aids, while also offering all the reassurance and protection you might expect from a standard home insurance policy.

This blog is intended for information purposes only and information was correct at the time of writing, May 2017.

Fish Insurance

Twitter Timeline

Fish Insurance is a trading style of Fish Administration Ltd. Company Registration no: 4214119 England & Wales.
Fish Administration Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, under firm reference number 310172. You can check this on the Financial Services Register by visiting the FCA’s website at or by contacting them on 0800 111 6768.

Calls may be recorded for training and monitoring purposes. © Fish Insurance. All rights reserved.

Fish Insurance

Twitter Results: