Disabled Car Insurance

Including Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles and Cars Adapted for Disabilities
Breakdown Recovery including Home Start included as Standard
Or Call Us On 0800 088 3050

If you’re a disabled driver then you’ll love our disabled motor insurance policy. Not only does this offer significant discounts for registered disabled drivers and Blue Badge holders, it provides benefits tailored to meet your needs.

Because we are a long established disability car insurance specialist we know from experience that disabled drivers represent a lower risk. The same experience tells us that if your car is modified it’s not typically to boost its performance or looks, this is why it’s important to compare disabled car insurance with standard polices – because you need to make sure the cover offered suits your needs

Why choose Fish Insurance?

  • Up to 35% discount
  • Breakdown cover including homestart included as standard
  • Cover for the repair and replacement of adaptions to your car
  • If your car is stolen any settlement will take into account modifications
  • Protection for wheelchair or other mobility aids carried in your car
  • Free courtesy car or up to £700 mobility allowance if a suitable car is not available.
  • Car Insurance for Personal Assistants and Carers now available

Or call us on 0800 088 3050

Who's this policy for?

Fish’s disabled motor insurance policy is designed to protect:

  • Disabled drivers and Blue Badge holders
  • Owners and drivers of wheelchair adapted vehicles (WAVs)
  • Owners and drivers of cars equipped with disabled driver aids (modifications such as hand controls, swivel seats and spinner knobs)
  • Disabled people supported by carers or personal assistants who may drive for them

Or call us on 0800 088 3050

Frequently asked questions:

  • Q. I’m a disabled driver. I’ve heard this could mean I pay more for insurance?
    A.Some general insurers and internet sites may quote you higher premiums if you drive a modified vehicle because, as mass market providers, they focus on standard risks. The Observer newspaper has also reported that some may refuse to insure you at all. However, as a long standing disability car insurance specialist Fish’s experience is that disabled drivers and wheelchair adapted vehicles (WAVs) actually present a better insurance risk. For this reason we can offer disabled car insurance with significant discounts.
  • Q. My car has been expensively modified due to my disability. Will your disabled motor insurance properly protect it if it’s stolen, damaged or written off?
    A.Unlike many insurers whose policies pay out only a market value based on list price, Fish’s disabled car insurance covers modifications such as hand controls, under ring accelerators, swivel chairs, lifts and other adaptations used by disabled drivers. This means that if you need to make a claim on your disabled car insurance following an accident or theft, your policy will pay for the repair or replacement of adaptations or, in the case of a write off or theft where your vehicle is not recovered, your settlement will take into account the investment made in modifications. We strongly recommend that you compare disabled car insurance and standard motor policies to ensure that the cover offered is suited to your needs.
  • Q. I carry my wheelchair in my car. Will it be covered by your disabled driver car insurance?
    A.Yes. Our disabled motor insurance policy includes wheelchair in transit protection which will pay out up to £2,500 towards a replacement manual or powered wheelchair or other mobility aids stored in your vehicle.
  • Q. If my car is stolen or off the road through an accident will your disabled motor insurance policy help me get around?
    A.We will make every effort to provide you with a courtesy car suited to your needs. If we cannot do so we will award you a mobility allowance of up to £700 to enable you to get out and about.

Or call us on 0800 088 3050

Car Insurance for Personal Assistants and Carers - Now Available

If you are Personal Assistant or Carer and use your car whilst carrying out duties for work you must have suitable insurance for carers. This means your car insurance policy must cover you for business use. It might not have crossed your mind, but simple duties such as driving your employer to the shops or collecting goods on their behalf means you must be covered for business use.

We understand that these day to day activities are essential for people wishing to live an independent live. Therefore, we are pleased to announce the launch of our new carer car insurance policy for Personal Assistants, specifically designed for those that are employed by service users within the home.

The policy offers you business use FREE of charge, saving you up to 25%.